Friday, February 27, 2015

BATHROOM RENO: IT'S ALL IN THE DETAILS

I'll start by saying this past year has been a bit of a whirlwind.  My husband and I bought a house (woohoo) and renovated it.  I don't think either of us realized the number of decisions we would have to be make and the amount of time a project of this magnitude takes. Special thanks to my mom for stepping in as our project manager!  Regardless, we're finally at the end of all the work and we are both so happy with all the decisions that were made.

I want to introduce you to one of my favorite parts of our home--my bathroom.  Initially we weren't going to do the bathrooms because the previous homeowners (the original homeowners might I add) had "updated" them and with a little paint on both the walls and the vanity it could easily have worked out for the time being.  Home renovation tip number one... When you buy a home built in the 50's and then no one maintains the plumbing for sixty years, it's going to need to be updated.  Needless to say it turned into a bigger project than we first thought.

Since we were forced to address renovating the bathrooms I knew I wanted something really cute and girly with some type of pattern.  I found this image on Pinterest and I couldn't get it out of my mind.  As it turns out hexagon tiles don't come in sheets in that pattern and so the amount of work needed to make my dream a reality was just too unrealistic.  And I want to tell you that I'm not ashamed (not even a little bit) that I was unable to handle the answer of "no" on this one.  So I kept looking and found this image and was finally able to get the previous idea out of my head.  That's when I found myself at another "no."  That tile is crazy expensive and has to be special ordered, turns out I have expensive taste, who knew (alright, so not that shocking).  I ended up finding these beautiful blue painted tiles that work perfectly as a tile rug and filled the rest of the floor with penny tiles to create this classically elegant tile floor.  It worked out better than expected and combined both of my Pinterest inspirations.

Since I wanted my bathroom to be very feminine I went with these crystal knobs we found from Hickory Hardware.  I love how they pop on the dark vanity and help to create a classic, vintage feel.  The elegance of the crystal knobs contrasted with the dark wood vanity creates just the right amount of drama.  And the way it all plays off the floor tiles turned out amazing.  Since it's a small space, all we had to do to finish the look was add some personality to the space by adding a few fun accessories.  The picture of my husband and I at are wedding is one of my favorites so I wanted it somewhere I could see it on a daily basis.  The painting is a piece I picked up years ago on a trip to Italy and it fits perfectly in this space.  Check out the before and after photos below and let me know what you think!


BEFORE:



AFTER: 


Knobs c/o Hickory Hardware // WestElm Shower Curtain // Home Depot Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment

.post-body img, .post-body .tr-caption-container {width: 600px; height: auto;text-align:center;margin-left: 0em; margin-right: 0em;}