Wednesday, June 19, 2013

LEMON MERINGUE PIE


My dad has never been one to like sweets all that much.  I remember growing up he would always say "You know Mel, chocolate (pie, ice cream, etc...) isn't very good for you".  Which I would generally ignore but will never forget him saying.  I always knew the only kind of sweets he might actually want to eat was apple pie, an ice cream sundae with peanuts and lemon meringue pie.  Even though I have never made a lemon meringue pie before but I thought it was something I had to try to make him for father's day.  So, I found a recipe and while the steps seem pretty intimidating it wasn't all that difficult!  It's not my favorite kind of pie (I'm a blackberry pie kind of gal) but it came out pretty darn good if I do say so myself!  So here's the recipe!

INGREDIENTS:
LEMON FILLING
1 cup white sugar (I think you could do 3/4 cup depending how sweet you like it)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons juiced & zested
2 tbsp butter
4 egg yolks
MERINGUE
4 egg whites
6 tbsp white sugar
1 pie crust

1. Bake pie crust in 9 inch pie pan for 10 minutes (until golden brown)
2. Mix the first 6 ingredients together and bring to a boil.  Once boiling add the butter.  Once the butter has melted scoop out 1/2 cup of sugar mixture and whisk together with the egg yolks.  Stir the egg yolk mixture back into sugar mixture and continue stirring until it becomes a thick substance.  Add to baked pie crust.
3. Take the 4 egg whites and begin to mix them together with the electric mixer until they become foamy.  Slowly mix in the 6 tbsps of white sugar until peaks begin to form.  Spoon the meringue onto the lemon filling sealing the edges at the crust.
4. Bake pie for 10 minutes.
5. Cut & Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.post-body img, .post-body .tr-caption-container {width: 600px; height: auto;text-align:center;margin-left: 0em; margin-right: 0em;}