Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A DOSE OF DIY

Last summer while my soon to be husband and I were planning our wedding, we were also getting things situated for us to move in together.  Yes, that's right, we're old fashioned and didn't move in together until after our wedding.  Anyway, we were extremely lucky because between my two older sisters and my husband's high school job at the good old linens n' things we were pretty well set with almost everything we would need.  One of the only major pieces of furniture we didn't have was a TV stand and with my 40 something inch flat screen we knew we were in need of something for that big boy.  So we went back and forth trying to decide if we should just get something from IKEA since it was in our price range or splurge a little and get something a little nicer and quite a bit out of our range.

Well, lucky for me, since I was on pinterest everyday planning my wedding, I happened upon this pretty yellow buffet.  I saw it and couldn't get it out of my mind so I showed my man and he couldn't either.  


Link here


I looked and looked hoping to find it somewhere and magically in my price range.  Well, surprise!  I couldn't.  After seeing this we obviously couldn't simply settle for something from IKEA so we got a little crafty and tried a DIY.  I'll fully disclose that neither my husband and I are big DIY people.  While we love the idea of it, neither of us are very patient which I'm pretty sure is the number one prerequisite for doing a DIY.


So... I found something at ReStore that I was pretty sure we would be able to turn into something we would be proud to put our TV on.  Here's the before:


Yes, the handles are hideous and the paint job is tragic but it was a sturdy, well-made piece.  Plus there's lots and lots of storage!  The best part was that I got it for $50!  So we sanded, painted and re-hardwared (DIY'd word, just go with it).  And here's the finished piece!


Taken the day my husband moved in...


And now that it's a little more lived in.  

All in all we love how our first DIY turned out (although my husband would have probably chosen a color other than Tiffany Blue) and now we're thinking of something else we can do.  Including paint, hardware and, of course, the piece itself we spent around $100.  Less than what we were looking at IKEA!  It was far easier than I expected, but then again, I didn't think it was going to be easy at all.  So, if you want something that fits your style and also your budget think about doing a DIY.   

*I'm thinking of turning Wednesday's into my day without fashion, let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

.post-body img, .post-body .tr-caption-container {width: 600px; height: auto;text-align:center;margin-left: 0em; margin-right: 0em;}